Vegetable biryani is an aromatic rice dish made by cooking basmati rice with mix veggies, herbs & biryani spices. Traditionally Biryani was made by dum cooking marinated meat with basmati rice & spices. Making a vegetarian version becomes much simpler as the veggies need no marination.
1 cup Basmati Rice
1/2 cup Edamame Seeds
1/2 cup Carrots cut in 1-2 inch chunks
1 cup Cauliflower florets
1/2 cup Red onion chopped + 1/4 cup (thinly sliced)
1 tbs Ghee
2 tbs Canola or any cooking oil-
1 inch Cinnamon Stick
1-2 ts Cloves whole
1/4 ts Cumin seeds optional
1 ts Garam Masala
2 ts Golden Raisin optional
8-10 Cashews- 8-10 optional
1/4 Cilantro chopped
3 cups Water
Salt to taste
1. Wash rice 2-3 times in tap water. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
2. Add ghee and canola oil to the Crock-Pot Express Multi-Cooker. Turn the multi-cooker on and set it to brown/saute setting. As the ghee heats up (2-3 minutes), add golden raisin and cashews. Saute for approx. 30sec.- 1 min. or until the raisins puff up.
3. Fish the puffed raisins and golden cashews out and set aside for later.
4. In the same pot add sliced onion. Cook until brown and crispy, 3-4 minutes. Fish brown onions out leaving the remaining ghee in the pot. Spread them on the paper towel.
5. Add cinnamon stick, cloves, cumin seeds and green cardamom to the same pot. As they sputter, add chopped onion. Cook until golden, 8-10 minutes. Add salt and garam masala. Give it a quick stir.
6. Add veggies, rice and water. Close the lid and place the steam vent on lock position. Turn the pressure cooker to rice setting. The multi-cooker will tell you when the cooking process is over, approx. 12 minutes.
7. Once the food is cooked, multi-cooker automatically switches to ""warm"". At this point, turn the steam vent to open position. Wait till the steam has escaped from the pressure cooker.
8. Garnish with golden raisins, cashews, brown sliced onion and cilantro. Serve hot with raita.
Share recipe on