Vindaloo or vindalho is an Indian curry dish popular in the region of Goa, Vasai, the surrounding Konkan, Kerala and many other parts of India.It is known globally in its British Indian form as a staple of curry house and Indian restaurant menus, and is often regarded as a fiery, spicy dish. It is usually made with pork, but can be made with any kind of meat, including beef, mutton, and chicken.
500 gms. mutton on bones, cubed
1 tbsp.ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. salt or to taste
1-2 tbsp. red chili powder
1/2 tsp. pepper powder
1 tbsp. coriander powder
1 tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp. garam masala powder
1/4 cup vinegar
2-3 tbsp oil
2-3 onions, chopped
1. Prep ahead -Marinate the mutton with ginger-garlic paste, vinegar and all the dry powdered spices overnight.
2. Heat oil in a pan and saute the onions till light brown.
3. Drain the mutton from the marinate and add it to the onions. Fry on a high flame 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the marinade and continue to cook on a medium flame till dry.
5. Add 1 cup water and pressure cook for 15-20 minutes on a low flame after the first whistle. When done, simmer till the gravy turns slightly thick and you get the desired consistency.
6. Garnish with onions and coriander leaves.
7. Serve with plain pulao, kuska biryani, plain steamed rice, jeera rice, naan, tandoori roti or just plain chapati.
Share recipe on