Indian RedVelvet Halwa
Beetroot ka halwa(RED VELVET) is a combination of nuts, milk, sugar, khoya and ghee with grated beetroot. It is a light nutritious dessert with less fat (a minimum of 10.03% and an average of 12.19%) than many other typical sweet from the Indian subcontinent.
2 medium Beetroot
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Whole milk
1 Cup Sweetened condensed milk
1/4 Cup Cardamom powder
1/4 tsp Sugar
1/2 Cup Ghee
3 Tbsp Cashew
1. First wash, peel and grate the beetroot. It measured about 2 cups for me.
2. Heat a Cooker pan (Dutch oven) with 1 Tbsp of ghee, add the grated beetroot and saute for a minute.
3. Add water, milk give a stir and cook for 1 whistle in medium flame. Turn off the flame and wait until the pressure subsides.
4. Now open the lid, add the condensed milk, cardamom powder and again start cooking it in medium-high flame until the mixture becomes almost dry.
5. Keep stirring at regular intervals to avoid a burnt bottom.
6. Once it reaches the consistency, add the sugar and stir well.
7. The halwa will become watery once again. Continue to cook stirring at regular intervals.
8. Side by, heat a pan with the remaining ghee, add in the cashews and raisins and saute until the raisins puff up. By now the cashews will also turn golden brown. Turn off the flame and keep them aside.
9. Once the halwa becomes almost dry, add in the fried cashews, raisins along with the ghee used. Continue cooking with continuous stirring for a few more minutes until the halwa starts leaving the sides of the pan.
Share recipe on