Cafreal is a spicy chicken preparation consumed widely in the Indian state of Goa. The preparation originated from the Portuguese colonies in the African continent. Chicken Cafreal is always made from whole chicken legs, flavoured with the spices and herbs mentioned and then shallow fried.
6-8 chicken thighs/drumsticks
For the Cafreal Masala
7 - 8 green chillies
8-10 stalks of coriander leaves
1.5 inch piece of ginger
10 -12 flakes of garlic
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon whole cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
4 - 6 cloves
2 tbsps vinegar (can use lime juice or tamarind water if preferred)salt
1. Blend all the masala ingredients into a smooth paste. The masala can be stored for later usage in the fridge.
2. Cut the chicken pieces into required sizes, make incisions into the flesh. Apply the masala and let it marinate in the fridge overnight.
3. Season with salt.
4. In a deep pan place the chicken and masala, cover and cook on slow flame. After 5 mins, turn the chicken pieces.
5. Remove the lid so the gravy starts to thicken and coats the chicken. Turn the chicken so it cooks evenly.
6. Serve with fried potato chips or salad
Share recipe on