Chana masala literally 'mix-spiced small-chickpeas'), also known as channay, chole masala, chole or chholay is a dish originating from the Indian subcontinent. They are twice the diameter of typical chickpeas with a stronger flavour and firmer texture even after being cooked.
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 red onions chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
2 tbsp fresh ginger paste
3 small fresh Serrano chilies seeded and diced
1 tbsp ground cumin powder
1 tsp ground turmeric powder
1 tbsp ground garam masala powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
28 oz can dice tomatoes
2 -15 oz cans chickpeas
1 tsp amchur (dried mango powder)
2 tbsp lemon juice Chopped cilantro for garnish
1. In a large stock pot or skillet add the oil and saute the onions until almost golden.
2. Next add the garlic, ginger paste, chilis, Chana masala (optional), cumin, turmeric, garam masala and salt in a food processor. Pulse until chopped fine, but not pureed. Scrape mixture into onions.
3. Add diced tomatoes and chickpeas (reserve 1 can chickpea liquid) to the onions. Slowly simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Add the mango powder, lemon juice and stir to incorporate completely. Season to taste.
5. If the mixture is too thick feel free to dilute with water or chickpea liquid.
Share recipe on