Sindhi Biryani - Chicken
Believed to have origins in Persia (Modern day Iran), No trip to the Indian Subcontinent is complete without a Biryani. This perticular version comes from Sindh region of Pakista. In Sindhi Biryani, the meat is precooked in spices which increases the flavor profile of the rice.
500 gr Chicken (Bone in preferred)
750 gr Basmati Rice
125 gr Yogurt
75 gr Biryani masala
1 pinch Orange food color
6-8 Curry leaves
1 tbsp Ginger paste
1 tbsp Garlic paste
1 tbps Green chili paste
Half bundle of fresh Coriander
Half bundle of fresh Mint leaves
1. Chop Onions (Julienne)
2. Cut tomatoes in rings (1/4 of inch)
3. Wash the rice 2-3 times and soak it in water.
4. On high heat, heat the oil and add chopped onion until they are light brown.
5. Add cleaned chicken and cook for 5 minutes to brown the bird without covering with regular stirring.
6. Add tomatoes rings ginger/garlic paste, green chili paste, curry leaves, yogurt, biryani masala and simmer until the oil is separated from gravy.
7. Par boil the rice in another pot (To check, the rice should not be completely cooked, hence be slightly tough on the teeth)
8. Discard the rice water and remove from heat
9. Check if chicken is completely cooked Mix well the curry, and sprinkle coriander/mint/artificial color
10. Add rice on top curry and give steam on low heat for 8 minutes (or until rice is cooked).
11. While serving, gently mix the rice and curry, and serve with plain yogurt
Share recipe on