Creamy potato salad
This classic American side dish is rumored to have originated in Germany, but has easily become an American staple. Soft and creamy potatoes intertwine with a variety of ingredients to create this flavorful and texture loaded side dish.
3 lb small red potato, cleaned and unpeeled
fine sea salt, to taste
1 cup mayonnaise
½ cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ cup red onion, finely chopped
½ cup celery, minced
2 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup dill pickle, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
1. Place the potatoes in a large pot with enough water to cover them by 2 inches (5 cm), cover, and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Once boiling, season with salt, reduce the heat to medium, and cook until the potatoes are tender, 25-30 minutes.
3. Drain and set aside to cool.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and paprika.
5. Season with ½ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Dice the potatoes and transfer to a separate large bowl, along with the onion, eggs, pickles, and chives.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the sauce over the potatoes and toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with chopped chives, for garnish.
Share recipe on