This cold night in, hearty dish is a classic for the kitchen. With heat coming from all sides thanks to the cayenne and chipotle peppers, you will be warmed up in no time. The combination of ground beef, black and kidney beans gives this dish grounds to stand alone at the dinner table.
2 lb ground beef
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chilli powder
1 tablespoon smoked paprika, ground
1 teaspoon cayenne1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
12 oz tomato paste
2 cups beef broth
12 oz chopped tomato 1 can
15 oz black beans, 1 can
15 oz red kidney bean, 1 can
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, optional
1. In a large pot at medium high heat, add the beef, season with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, and cook until it is a deep brown color.
2. Add the onion, red bell peppers garlic, and chopped chipotles, and a pinch of salt. Cook until caramelized and soft, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the tomato paste and cook until the tomato paste gets dark and starts sticking to the bottom slightly.
4. Add in the canned diced tomatoes, beef broth, black beans, kidney beans, and apple cider vinegar (optional). Stir until all is well incorporated.
5. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low to a simmer, cook for at least 1 hour. Serve with cheddar cheese, sour cream, and sliced scallions.
Share recipe on