Pita - Greek Flat Bread
The universally loved Greek flat bread, or pita. Fantastic to wrap your gyros in, or dip into tzatziki, or just enjoy on it's own. This recipe is perfect for anyone who enjoys a mouthful of authentic Greek bread.
1 cup water, blood temp
1 Tbsp honey
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
4 - 4 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
1 ½ cup milk
1. Dissolve honey in the warm water. Add yeast and let it dissolve and start to foam.
2. In a large bowl, mix together salt and 3 1/2 cups of flour. Add the yeast mixture, oil, and milk. Mix with a wooden spoon until the dough begins to come together.
3. Then, turn the dough out onto the counter and knead until smooth, adding the remaining flour as needed to create a soft dough that doesn't stick to your hands.
4. Place the dough back in the bowl, and let set, covered, for 1 hour, until doubled in bulk.
5. When you are ready to cook the flatbread, preheat your oven to 375F.
6. Knock back the dough and divide it into 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball.
7. Roll the pieces out into circles using short strokes of the rolling pin. Place the rolled-out flatbread on a greased baking sheet and let rest for 10 minutes.
8. Bake for 7-8 minutes, until cooked through and springy to the touch.
9. Remove the cooked flatbread from the baking pan and immediately place them in a paper bag to cool. (The steam from the cooling bread in the bag will keep the flatbread soft and pliable.)
Share recipe on