The pastry is light and airy. The filling can be anything from just vegetables (blanched first) then fill the pastry. The meat filling is more common, but there are a variety of these wonderful fried tarts. Outside my local grocery store, is a man with a portable cart, and he makes them for you "a la minute"
1 cup Flour
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbs lard or oil or butter or margarine
1 tsp alcohol (vodka, gin)
250 gm of ground meat/shrimp of choice
1. Pour flour in a bowl and add alcohol.
2. Add butter, salt, warm water and mix lightly with fingers until a smooth mixture is obtained.
3. Roll paste out as thinly as possible and cut in circles (I use a small Pyrex glass) You can usually reroll after cutting because the dough snaps back and is not thin enough otherwise.
4. Put filling (ground meat, shrimp, chicken etc.) in center, fold over, press edges with a fork to prevent pasties from opening.
5. Fry in deep fat unit golden brown. (oil)
Share recipe on