Grouper if available and or Cod, which is available almost anywhere in the world, are two excellent choices. Both are thick and juicy and lend to a wonderful finished product.
You must use fresh ingredients with the exception of the Heart of Palm, cans are found in many grocery stores. Follow the recipe and enjoy!
4 Fillets of Grouper Fish 7 oz. each
1 Yellow Bell pepper
1 Red Bell pepper
1 Orange Bell pepper
1 Bunch green onions
2 Tomatoes (Brandywine)
3 oz. Dry sherry
1 Tbl Basil dried
1 Tbl Thyme leaf dried
2 Shallots diced
2 Cans Heart of Palm Sliced and 4 each quartered lengthwise
1 Can V-8
32 oz. 1 Can Tomato Juice
8 oz. 4 oz. Olive Oil
3 oz. Olive Oil for cooking fish
Salt and Black pepper to taste
1. Julienne all of the peppers
2. Slice scallions cross wise
3. Score, blanch, peel, seed and chop tomatoes and chop Shallots
4. Cut Heart of Palm reserving juice from 1 can
5. In a heavy skillet, heat 4 oz. olive oil. Add peppers and shallots, stir regularly and season w/ S&P. 6. Lower the heat then add tomatoes, green onions, the juice of 1 can of heart of palm, sherry, tomato juice 8 oz. and 16 oz. of V-8 juice. Simmer for 30 minutes then add the herbs.
7. Add the Heart of Palm at the end, you want it solid and not broken.
8. In a separate hot skillet, add 3 oz. olive oil and sear the fish fillets on both sides.
9. Put in 375 degree oven to finish cooking of fish ~ when done ~ plate and top with hot Palmeiro preparation above. The Palmeiro can be made in advance and reheated at time of service, to be served with freshly cooked fish!
Share recipe on