French Toast, though always delicious, can sometimes be one-note. I like to think my French Toast with a Mexican twist is four-note. Beginning with Mexican Concha Bread, this french toast is soaked in a luxurious custard spiked with cinnamon, swirled with vanilla, and scented with citrus zest. Fried till golden brown, this treat has a crisp outside and tender inside, topped with butter and sweet maple syrup. A generous sprinkling of the Concha bread sugar topping adds a new layer of texture and sweet crunch. This is best enjoyed with your favorite people, or with your favorite reality TV show.
4 slices Concha bread, sliced 1-inch thick
2 cups half and half (no nonfat milk!)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt Zest of 1 grapefruit or navel orange
Warm Maple syrup for serving
Butter for frying and serving
1) Cut 4- inches thick slices of Concha bread, setting aside any sugar topping that falls off while slicing.
2) To make the dipping custard, mix eggs, half and half, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt in a glass baking dish.
3) To ensure the oils from the citrus zest permeates the custard, zest fruit directly over baking dish. Mix to combine.
4) Over a medium flame, melt 1/2 tbsp of butter in a large skillet.
5) Dip concha bread in custard, flipping 3 or 4 times to ensure proper saturation.
6) Place custard soaked bread onto hot skillet, 2 slices at a time.
7) Flip bread after several minutes, or until golden brown.
8) Once golden brown on both sides, transfer to serving plate.
9) Serve with butter, warm maple syrup, and crumbled Concha sugar topping.
Share recipe on