Sultan's Delight (Hünkar Beğendi)
Hünkar Beğendi has an authentic and festive flavour. It is a recipe that combines both meat and vegetables, and is commonly cooked on special feasts with friends and family.
For the stew:
1 kg trimmed, boneless lamb leg diced into small pieces (50cm)
4 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups of hot water
2 tablespoon butter
For Eggplant Puree:
4 large eggplants
50 gr butter
500 gr milk
salt and pepper to taste
1. Set oven to 275 F.
2. Slit the whole eggplant with a knife couple of times to cook it easily and evenly.
3. Put the eggplant to oven and set the timer to 30 mins
4. Finely chop the onions, garlic and tomatoes
5. Set a regular souspan on medium heat.
6. Add the garlic and onion and a little bit olive oil and saute it until its pink.
7. Add the meat to the pan and cook them for about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and tomato paste, and give it a stir.
8. Add hot water to it and let it boil for five minutes. Cover it and let it simmer.
9. Take the eggplant out of the oven, and let it cool. Mash the eggplant into a puree.
10. Set a pan on low heat, and add butter to melt it. Add flour, to make a roux, and add milk. Cookit for 5-10 minutes.
11. Add the eggplants to the mixture, and mix it gently.
12. Add turkish kashar cheese (parmesan or grated mozeralla) and mix it again. Add salt and pepper.
Share recipe on